Thursday 11 July 2013

London 2013

We spent a total of 4 days in London, indulging in great food and shopping, taking in the sights of Big Ben, Buckingham Palace and the London Eye (although we didn't sit in it because the queue for it was sooooooo long).. and we were treated to the usual London weather, where it started raining and we were all soggy in no time.. only to have the sun come out 15 minutes later to dry us all again.

Now in London, shopping was awesome.. we were at Selfridges and Harrods shopping, and what's even better.. is that it's sales in London!  It was definitely a treat shopping there because of the sales.  I ended up 2 dresses from Karen Millen and 1 dress from French Connection at Selfridges.  From there, we had a lunch of oysters and champagne (I indulged in asparagus in hollandaise sauce) and when we regained our strength, we went for a walk along Oxford street, coming across big brands like Chanel and Prada.  I couldn't find anything I wanted in that Chanel shop, but sis found a gorgeous plum caviar skin bag and it took a long time for them to ring it up so we stayed for at least an hour in the store.

Prada was having a sale on shoes, and I was looking for a pair of cork wedges and what did I find?  A pair of cork wedges!  I had to choose between green or yellow.. finally settling for the yellow because it was easier to match and it just looked happier.


See, doesn't it just look so chirpy?  It was on sale too, with an additional 50% off!  BARGAIN!!!  So hence, that was the first pair of branded shoes I bought while on this trip.

Harrods just went on sale and the crowd there was crazy!  BUT, I managed to buy a pair of Jimmy Choo patent leather wedge pumps IN MY SIZE!!  It was 30% off and it too was a bargain!  It did look like my Nine West patent leather wedge pumps but hey.. it's Jimmy Choo okay?  Yes.. I've been called a brand whore before :P  I also managed to find a pair of gladiator sandals which I've still no idea what I'm going to wear it with, but it's something fun to have.  They only had two pairs left, one in size 37 and one in size 40.  Size 37 was my size, and I took it as a sign that I was meant to get it :)  Zara also went on sale and I got some great deals on daily wear, which was awesome!

Sis's friend took us to a Japanese restaurant called Zuma for lunch just before our Phantom of the Opera show.  We ended up overstaying for lunch and missing half the show.. but lunch was awesome.  The food just kept coming out and each and every one was as delicious as the one before.  We had sashimi (no I didn't touch it), tempura prawns that was so crispy and non-oily, baked cod fish but the best thing that came out was dessert!  It was a tower of sorbets, ice creams, cakes and tropical fruits.  Didn't think I would actually find langsat in London!  It was simply delectable!  Phantom of the Opera was great.. we came in at the right time and the singers were awesome.. it was in a small auditorium.. which was interesting because I thought it would be in a bigger hall.. but it was great.. I enjoyed it.

I got to say though, I made a booking at a steak restaurant that came highly recommended online, only to be sorely disappointed.. firstly.. it was FAR and secondly.. my steak came out looking rather pathetic and burnt.. and the onion rings were tasteless.. never trust the internet again!

We went out for lunch again at a place called Oblisk, which was located in the tallest building in London.. I had scallops as entree and it was beautiful!  Cooked perfectly, it was surrounded with sweet corn and rockets (my favourite!) and a lovely sauce.  Main course was LOBSTER!!!  Since having it and falling in love with lobster in Goodman's London.. I ordered the crustacean every chance I get!  And I wasn't disappointed.  It was so light and crunchy.. heaven on a plate.  Dessert was chocolate brownie sundae which was the perfect end to an awesome meal.

We did have Chinese food for one day (Saturday).. we went to the Royal China Club for dim sum (and more lobsters!) which was super yummy.. totally miss dim sum... and at night, we went to Kai, the only Chinese restaurant with a Michelin star awarded to it.  Dinner was just absolutely stunning.. we started out with slow poach egg with black truffle and caviar (light and airy) followed by scallops and the usual fare like sweet and sour pork, chinese vegetables.. all tied together with chili infused rice.  I can't really remember what dessert was.. but it was a great meal.. nice and satisfying.

Needless to say, we had some pretty gastronomic meals in London.. sis's friend made sure that we never went without food and champagne :)

Thus was our trip in London.. next stop.. Amsterdam!

1 comment: