Monday 25 February 2013

Colored Rush - Fun Run

I realised that many of my posts recently do not have any pictures.. that's probably due to my aversion for cameras.. don't like being in pictures unless I can guarantee that I look hot in them :)  Probably should carry my camera around with me more often.. but for now, my blogs shall remain pictureless.. 

So recently I took part in the Colored Rush - Fun run... which was a 5km run around Kuching city.  It's a charity run for the World Children Cancer Foundation and we each had to pay RM30 to participate, and we get a free T-Shirt with that.  I took part mainly because it was a stepping stone towards running 10km, and I wanted/needed to test my stamina...

I trained hard.. mostly on the treadmill (well, only on the treadmill) and found my stamina pretty good.. I could run 5km in about 45 minutes.. not the best time.. but still pretty good!  Can you believe that after 2 months of training, I've grown so much stronger and my stamina is pretty damn good.. 

So anyway, this Colored Rush was the first time ever that it's done in Sarawak.  What makes it colored?  No no no.. it's not a multi-racial run.. although there are people from all walks of life there.. it's colored run because each participant is given a bag of colored powder, and before the run, everyone sprays their powder around so each person will end up covered in different color.  I wasn't too keen on getting dirty.. but it's all part of the fun.  We couldn't wait to get colors on each other, but was told to hold off until the final countdown.. but the crowd was over-energized that the countdown never happened.. it was awesome seeing the cloud of colors going around though.. 

After a 30 minute delay.. we finally set off on the 5km run, which took us from Civic Centre, past the General Hospital, up Batu Lintang, down Bampflyde, past Sarawak Club and back to the Civic Centre.  I started jogging at my pace.. but my pacer was way in front of me so I had to run faster to catch up.. and that was the start of the end.. midway through Batu Lintang.. my legs gave up.  I couldn't run anymore.. my mind tells me to do it, but my body just shut down.. my lungs were bursting, my legs were aching.. I just couldn't do it anymore... I had to walk... so my pacer walked with me and I said I'd start running again when we reached Bampflyde.. the nice part was when we past Batu Lintang, I saw PrincessBling and hubby with Hunter.. watching us jog/walk past... it was such a nice welcome.  Anyway.. back to the race.. when we hit Bampflyde, I started jogging again.. but alas, it wasn't to last very long.. I just couldn't do it anymore... I've hit a wall and my legs could not go on.  I was so disappointed with myself.. most of all, I let my pacer down.. and that kills me.

In the end.. it took us 45 minutes to complete the fun run.. not a bad time.. but with all the training, it should have been better.. but now I know.. running on the road is very different to running on the treadmill.  I need to start training on the road more often than on the treadmill... given the actual environment (the heat and the humidity) compared to working out in a full air conditioned gym.. I might make it a habit to run one day every weekend.. in the evening.. sadly.. I'm not prepared to wake up that early in the morning to run.. not yet anyway :)

On a side note.. colored powder given was NOT WATER SOLUBLE!  I had my face dyed purple for the rest of the day and I'm still picking out red dye from my ears.

Overall, I had fun, but I don't think my pacer will sign up for any more runs with me for now.. haha he hates running and only did it for me.. and to disappoint him like that.. I need to train harder and push my body to the limit.  Next time.. quitting is NOT acceptable.

2 comments:

  1. Awww come on, what happened to your new camera???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha.. if I had carried it to the race.. it would have turned multi-colored by now.. no more hot pink! Not to mention added weight to carry while running!

    ReplyDelete