Wednesday 18 July 2012

Day 1 - Athens

So we landed early in Athens.. 7am to be exact.. and to my eager self, it was already 12pm (Kuching time).. I was raring to go.. but dreaded the thought of immigration etc.. and to my utter surprise.. there was none!  Our bags came out early (thanks to priority business class checkin!) and we walked straight out.. no passport checks, nothing.. guess Greece is hard out for tourism eh!

The rest of the gang took longer than expected.. found out it was because some suitcases were wrecked and they were complaining.. I was dying to get a move on.. to see PrincessBling again.  It would be another 30 minute ride before we were reunited. 


Me and Phong


When I stepped out of the airport.. the first thing I noticed was HEAT (it was still early.. so the sun wasn't shining harshly yet).. and by the time we hit Hilton to pick up PrincessBling.. the sun was hurting!  OMG.. no sunblock!!!!

Gorgeous Sun Rise

Our first stop was to the Acropolis and Pantheneon.. first thing we all did when we arrived at the Acropolis was purchase a bottle of ice cold water.. only 50 cents Euro!  Daddy insisted that I wear a cap.. even though it clashed hideously with my outfit.. oh well, better than the witches hat my second sis Jo loaned me for the trip.. which I never wore! hahaha But man.. was the view exhilarating!!!

View of the Acropolis
For those wondering, Acropolis just means highest point.  Check out the amphitheater on the left side of the picture.  Once there.. we took our pictures and moved on to the Partheneon.


The Partheneon
The Partheneon was under construction when we were there.  But look at these great columns standing tall that weren't destroyed.  And look at that magnificent sky.. not a cloud in sight.


We called it a day at 6pm and had our first dinner in hotel.. not very Greek.. as it was international food.. haha.. but we were exhausted.  Our first lunch was at a seafood restaurant, but the food was rather disappointing.  Mussels, baby calamari.. the main course was cod with sundried tomatoes.. but it was clearly overcooked and left to sit for too long.


There was some hoo-hah with the rooming situation (I was supposed to bunk with my parents but there was NO WAY we could fit a cot in the tiny room..) so I ended up with a room all to myself.. needless to say, I scared myself silly and ended up sleeping with all the lights on!


Ahhh.. thus my first day in Greece...




2 comments:

  1. Love the sunrise! Hmmm... Now I'm really curious about the witch hat you mentioned....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture is actually sunset I took the night before!! Hahaha

    ReplyDelete