Sunday 16 December 2012

Christmas!!!!

Christmas is coming in a week and Oh my.. I can't wait for it!  I think Christmas is my favourite time of the year.. followed by Chinese New Year!  What do I love about Christmas?  I love it how the family comes together and celebrate, nothing like religion separating us (even though Johnny's family is Buddhist.. and we're Christians) .. and boy do we celebrate :)  Each year, we throw a Christmas party for close friends.. and each year it involves..


TURKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Turkey turkey turkey turkey....
I LOVE TURKEY!!!  I'm more fascinated with cooking the turkey rather than eating it.  I love cooking Turkey, because it takes time to prepare and prep, and out pops this beautiful looking roast turkey that tastes absolutely wonderful, and it always pleases me to know that people enjoy my cooking once a year.  Last year's turkey came out wonderfully moist.. this year I'm going to brine my turkey so it'll be even more moist!  My secret recipe?  Lots of vegetables in the roasting pan to make the turkey super sweet.. however this year, I'm going to lay it on a roasting rack to properly collect the juices from the turkey to make the dressing.. I'll be roasting the veges in a separate pan next to the turkey so the turkey will still smell the fumes of the veges! haha.. hope that works!

I wanted to try out a new recipe, which is roasted brussel sprouts and potatoes with bacon fat.. unfortunately, us being a small town with the wrong climate to cook brussel sprouts.. we can't get them here.. I tried the recipe in USA and it was delicious!  I found some brussel sprouts on my recent trip to Singapore, but they didn't look so hot.. and it would probably have rotted by the time Christmas came around.. 

Another item which we always have at Christmas party is...


Ham!!!  PrincessBling will be drooling over this picture.. she's a porky person.. loves her Sio Tu (roast pork) and she absolutely loves that Gammon Ham that we buy each year from Singapore.  Pop it into the oven for a couple of hours and it comes out hot and crispy on the outside and superbly moist and salty on the inside.  I don't care too much for cooking ham because it takes nothing.. just aluminum foil and a hot oven.

Alas.. there's always the alcohol that comes with every celebration.  We have beer, we have champagne, we have wine, we have sake.. whiskey.. anything your heart desires we have.. and the greatest thing about a celebration, is that no one stops you from drinking!  Hahaha.. but yes, I didn't forget my 2013 goal.. so I'm going to drink all I can before! HAHAHAHA just kidding.. I'm going to watch myself and don't over-indulge in turkey, ham and alcohol.

Christmas is also a scary time for binging.. my worst enemy.  I always ended up eating way too much and feeling so full and bloated for the rest of the day.. which then leads to bad thoughts in my head, and I usually get a little light headed from the alcohol binge as well.. but this year.. I HAVE A GOAL.. which is to lose 10kgs by April 2013.. and that means no binging.. I'm going to watch myself carefully.. and probably go to the gym prior and after to work out all that calorie intake!

Last but not least, is watching the joy of the children's faces when they open up their presents.. although past experiences have shown that they really don't care what they get, as long as its numerous (ie more presents the better!).. sigh.. kids will be kids after all.  Our Christmas tree is filling with presents and I can't wait to distribute them out.  But then again, there'll be some people without presents, because quite frankly.. what do you buy a person who already has everything?

Oh Christmas.. why don't you come sooner?  I am counting down the days til you get here.. and I'll be preparing my stomach for you.. which means hour long sessions at the gym on days that I can go.. which hopefully will be daily... hopefully...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment