Wednesday 5 December 2012

Standard Chartered Marathon

I can't believe that it's already December 2012... has anyone else realized that this year just pretty much flew by?  It seems like I had all the time in the world before 2nd December 2012... and the date just seems to pop up and bite you in the ass..

Yes, I'm talking about the Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2012 that I signed up for.  I was excited to be running a marathon again, but yeah.. didn't get in as much practice as I could have.. I did train 2x in the week coming up to the marathon.. in between visits to America and Singapore and in between heavy drinking sessions unfortunately.. 

I signed up for 10km again (okay, I'm not THAT ambitious to be trying 21km just yet!) and was a little worried about how I would do in the heat, as it's a morning race, not a night run like the previous marathon I signed up for.  My bib number was 67808 which I took as a good sign (what a great number!)  We were scheduled to flag off at 7.15am, but there being 20,000 runners in the 10km race, I didn't step pass the start line until 7.20am!  I started jogging.. jogging.. jogging.. being in my own world (which I love!) and I was very please with myself to realise that after 1km, I wasn't huffing and puffing like my last attempt.  However, do you realise that when you start thinking about the fact that you have ran 1km.. you suddenly do get tired?  Note to self: train the mind to be elsewhere instead of focusing on running... 

The good thing about Singapore is that it is supposedly 1 hour behind Malaysia time, but they pushed their clocks forward when they joined Malaysia.. so technically, 7am Singapore is like 6am Kuching.. so the weather was much cooler than I expected.. in fact, after building up some sweat, it kinda got chilly.. 

I timed myself.. keeping in mind that I had 12 minutes to run 1km in order to finish at 2 hours.. but oh no.. that wasn't my goal... my goal was to get a better time than my last run of 1 hour and 45 minutes!  I mean, you join this to get better.. not worst!  My first km.. I'm proud to say, was completed in 5 minutes.. 7 minutes for the second km and so on.. but never going more than 10 minutes for a km.  I was wearing my new New Balance running shoes.. which weren't that great for long distance because while it was really light, the soles were too thin, therefore not giving enough padding and my foot started hurting about 3/4 of the way into the race.. when I tried running again at the last km.. OW.. I had to limp along.. but that final 150m.. I just ran for it.. I put the pain behind and ran like there was no tomorrow!  Hey.. if I had that opportunity to finish infront of a few more people, wouldn't I take it?  So anyway.....


 1 HOUR AND 40 MINUTES!!!

That's right people... I had accomplished my mission of beating my last run.. and I did by a whole 5 minutes! I felt amazing!  I felt accomplished.. I felt.. on top of the world!  I had completed my 2nd 10km marathon.. all before 2 hours.. and I wasn't even feeling half dead!  Although my legs would tell you a different story 3 hours later.

I was so excited to collect my medal that I almost missed the distribution point!  I wish I had pictures to show you guys, but I ran alone so there was no one to ask for pictures (my brother came with me but he was a whole 10 minutes faster than me!).. so note people.. when I ask you to register.. you REGISTER! hahaha.. that's to all my friends who said that they would come running with me and missed the registration cut off time!

There's pictures online right now, unfortunately, it's copyrighted so I can't "steal" it and post it on this blog.. but here's a link to it here  where you can check me out in action :).. unfortunately, couldn't get glam up for it.. hahaha.. so no makeup here!  All naturel man.. 

Soo.. what would be my next marathon?  The Sundown Marathon in 2013 is on 1st June, which happens to coincide with Gawai.. would I rather drink than run?  Hell yeah.. and there is a marathon in Gold Coast coming up.. but I ain't flying all the way there just to run.. not to mention it's hella expensive in Australia right now.. Maybe the next Standard Chartered marathon in Kuala Lumpur sometime in August 2013.. but for now, I'll just relinquish the great memories of this marathon.. and hope that I can find another marathon in the first half of 2013..

No comments:

Post a Comment