Wednesday 14 March 2012

Chef Morimoto in Napa Valley!!

If you've ever watched Iron Chef on TV, you will know Chef Morimoto.  He's the Japanese chef that seems to kick ass every time he is challenged!


Naturally, we HAD to try his restaurant in Napa Valley.  We made a booking for 6.30pm and walked from our hotel to his restaurant.  We arrived at 6.30pm on the dot!  Talk about great timing.. We were seated shortly.. (One thing about restaurants in America.. they won't seat you until your whole party has arrived!).. 


We were made very welcomed from the minute we sat down.  They created at 9 course meal for us, and had a special menu for the kids as well! (I reckon their food was way better than ours!) hahaha.. but our food was great!


First dish was raw tuna.. which I hesitated at.. since I don't touch raw food (bacteria and all that..) but I sucked it up and managed to down half my plate before giving up.  THAT.. is a good try for me already!  After encountering raw food on the first dish, I let the waiter know that I don't take raw food, and for him to change all raw food to cooked food for the rest of the 8 courses.. and boy were they so accommodating!


Second course was fish wrapped mushrooms which were fantastic.. portions were tiny and I was afraid that I would leave hungry.. yeah right.. haha.. 9 courses later.. I was so stuffed I couldn't finish the last two courses!


Third course was cawan-mushi which was great.. really smooth.. and there was Chef Morimoto's take on the fondue.. there was sushi (naturally) and kobe beef.. yum.. and ice cream at the end.  Overall, a great experience.


We finished 4 bottles of Sake with our dinner.. each Sake better than the one before.  In the end, I bought a bottle of Sake fit to be served to the Emperor!


The kids had duck confit fried rice, fish sticks and the best.. chicken pot pie with abalone!!!  So jealous! hahahaa

3 comments: