Monday 3 September 2012

My Job

Most people don't know what I do.. heck sometimes I don't even know what I do at work.  My title is EXECUTIVE OF HR AND ADMINISTRATION.  Doesn't that sound fancy?  I pretty much handle the day to day HR work as well as Admin work.

Now, it might come to a shock.. that with such a high position, my background (studies) is actually not in Human Resource.  Nope.. I have a double major in E-Commerce and Marketing (combining gives you E-Marketing).  What exactly is that?  Well, let's break it down.  IT component gives me the knowledge of building databases, building websites, writing programs etc.. and the Marketing component gives me the knowledge of selling products.  Combining.. it's pretty much sums it as selling online.  Hahaha.. 

I worked in this field for 5 years, being posted in Perth, Sydney and San Francisco.  Work experience was great!  Money was fabulous!  Colleagues were awesome!  Boss/Managers?  Sent me on a spiraling downward slope into depression. Which is why people, I'm back in Kuching!

Since there is practically no market for E-Commerce in Kuching, I decided to take on the HR role.  Well, fine.. it just landed on my lap because the Finance Director (who handles HR and Admin) was leaving the company.  Big shoes to fill.. considering the Finance Director was with the company for over 20 years!

So what do I do?  This just clears it for people who think that I don't do enough at work!  (not that any of those people are reading my blog.. hahahaha)
  1. I manage the payroll at the end of every month. It's on my head if people don't get paid on time and it's on my head if there is a mistake on the payroll.  I have to make sure:
    • Every new employee is entered into the payroll system and I need to make sure that they provide their Maybank account, their EPF/Socso/Income Tax number
    • Make sure their basic pay is correct, and all allowances are given out accordingly
    • Allowances are given in pro-rata to the date that they joined 
  1. I arrange for interviews with new candidates and sometimes have to do the interview myself.. hell as daunting since I don't know what to ask.  Sometimes I'm not even the qualified one to be asking the questions.
  2. I do all the paperwork required to get AP for foreign workers.  That means filling in sheets of paper, doing advertising on the newspaper, holding interviews etc.  (we're in the midst of hiring lots of foreign workers, so there's tons of paperwork and calling up offices to chase them on approving it)
  3. I manage all employees, giving out letter of offer, letter of promotion, letter of confirmation
  4. I write tons of memos a day, just to make sure that there is a paper flow and no one can 'forget' or 'misinterpret' a conversation.
  5. I do all the nasty work like telling off an employee for misconduct, deal with grievances
  6. I write all the policies and procedures of the company, just so that there is a normal workflow
  7. I am involved in ISO 9001, which means lots of documentation and procedures, which is why I'm doing number 6.  So each audit will flow on easier each year.
  8. I'm in charged of purchasing and managing the company credit card.  I deal with purchase of hampers, air tickets and other miscellaneous things for the company.  At the end of every month, I have to produce all the receipts to match the purchases made.
  9. I'm in charges of Leaves (annual, sick, compassionate etc) and have to manage it carefully to make sure that no one overtakes too many days (they will have to pay back) and no one has too many days of leave (get them to clear it).
So that's just a brief summary of SOME of the things I do at work.  I don't just Facebook and Chat you know :P

Sorry for the no-picture blogs lately.. I lost my camera and don't have the software to connect my Blackberry to my computer.. so I'm pictureless at the moment.

6 comments:

  1. Ohhhh... so that's what you do....

    btw.. your No. 9 responsibility.. so how many days do you have to pay back now for overtaking annual leave?? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!! Ya ya tell me, I'm curious!!!

      Delete
    2. Hahaha.. who said I 'overtook' any leave? I'd merely 'forgot' to apply for any of them!

      Delete
  2. Walau how come in Kch can interview people when not qualified to interview and don't know what to ask? So unfair leh... ask them:
    "why should I hire you above everyone else?"
    "what are your positive qualities?"
    "give me an example of when you worked well in a team?"
    "how would you handle a stressful situation?"

    and if all else fails:
    "when do you evacuate your bowels?" (like Big Bang Theory Sheldon's roommate interview)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROFL.. Kch can do anything man.. imagine if I threw a curveball and asked him 'how many times you need to go toilet a day?'

      Delete
  3. Example of interview (must watch, very useful):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxJtP_MlN_U&feature=related

    ReplyDelete